When you have a loved one in prison, one of the most important things to remember is communication. Despite their actions and the fact that they are locked away, they still need to communicate with their family. It’s an entirely new and oppressing situation that they are facing and your support is needed. Communication with loved ones adds to the emotional stability of an inmate. Regular communication from family and friends contributes to positive thoughts and a healthy mental status.
The Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has made it mandatory that all federal prisons incorporate a system called TRULINCS. This system allows inmates to communicate with loved ones and access BOP news and updates. It’s a simple email system.
Here’s how to set up the account:
- Give the inmate a valid email address by way of regular mail or over a telephone.
- Once the inmate adds the email address to his/her TRULINCS account, you’ll get an email requesting he’d add you to his TRULINCS account. (Note: you dont have to be on his visitors list to send and receive email).
- Click Register as a new users for the CorrLinks system. You’ll sign up with your email address and your current information.
- The next screen will allow you to add the inmate’s registration number, then click accept.
- Once completed, you’ll get a verification email.
For more information on the TRULINCS system, click here.